Friday, January 23, 2015

What is Soul? A Quantum Physicist’s Journey to Soul

Growing up in a family without any religious belief in communist China and studying science most of my life, I hardly knew anything about soul. Before I moved to Hawaii, I never thought much about whether it existed or not. The physical world was the only thing I knew, thought, or cared about. As far as I knew at the time, the physical world was the only thing that existed.

It was when I moved to Hawaii to build an herb processing plant in 2003 that I started to hear more about spirit. We have a strong Hawaiian community in my neighborhood, and I was very drawn to Hawaiian people and their culture. I loved to hear them telling stories about spirit.

Hawaiians think everything has a spirit. A plant, a stone, a mountain, an animal, or human being, each has a soul. They call it mana.

According to Hawaiian culture, respecting everything and everyone as a soul is important for the well-being of all. Every soul has knowing, feeling, thinking, consciousness, and other qualities just as we human beings have. For example, you would ask your neighbor for their permission if you wanted to cut down their tree. In the same way, you would ask the land and the tree for permission to cut it down. This is because tree and land, like everything and everyone, has a soul.

In turn, a soul has feelings, thought, emotion, and consciousness. Just like we need to respect other people for the well-being of everyone, we need to respect everything as well for the well-being of all.

In the next blog I will tell you some of my favorite Hawaiian stories about soul.

Love you. Love you. Love you.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment